Mentoring: A Running Start 2008

Welcome mentor teams!

Program Description

Mentoring: A Running Start provides an opportunity for youth to train for a 5K race to learn lessons in teamwork, goal setting and accomplishment. Participants in the running program will train for the noncompetitive 5K that is a part of the Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Marathon festivities in October.

The program aims to instill a life-long love for running and physical fitness in Michigan youth and adults. Knowledge and motivation are provided to reach the goal of running a 5K. After completion of the program, participants are encouraged to continue running and setting new physical activity goals.

Mentor Teams in Detroit October 18-19

Governor's Residence Day August 19

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Success Story from 2007




Participating in Mentoring: A Running Start in 2007 was life-changing for both mentor Laura Hahnfeld, and mentee Tiffany Jordan. The experience was said to be the most trying and exciting time in their years together as a mentor match through Faith in Youth Partnership. There were many days they doubted that they would make it across the finish line. But, they both learned in tangible ways what it looks like to never give up and to depend on each other for strength to push toward the seemingly impossible. “I watched an amazing transformation in Tiffany” says Laura, “I didn’t think she’d ever run a mile straight before we started and now she’s participating in sports at school and exercising in her free time.” Tiffany began to glow and it was obvious that she was feeling confident in herself and was learning that she is capable of doing more than she had ever imagined. “I showed myself that when I really try and put my mind to something I can do it and as long as I have people by my side supporting me, I can do anything,” says Tiffany. “This experience has affected my life in huge ways and I will never forget what it felt like to finally run the [Mackinac] Bridge!”

Laura and Tiffany are pictured above.

No comments: